- ut means intense
- tan means stretch or extend
Uttanasana or Standing Forward Fold is very beneficial for your spine, hips and knees. Any expert practitioner can practice this asana easily and can get its benefits. But if someone has severe back pain, hip joint pain or knee pain, then he/she cannot practice this pain reducing asana. Here, you will know how one with back pain or any other joints pain can practice Uttanasana using supports in Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga. Watch the video to learn how to do uttanasana step by step and read out therapeutic benefits of uttanasana below.
Steps of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold) Using Support
All that we need to practice Uttanasana with support is a cushioned rope tied on the wall and a standing wooden brick as shown below:
- Step 1: First hold the rope tied to wall and come inside it. Now, place the cushioned rope on your lower abdomen.
- Step 2: Now, slowly take both your legs backside to the wall and start bending your upper body simultaneously. While taking your feets back, take care your feets are onto the ground and touched to the wall.
- Step 3: Now, place your forehead on the standing wooden brick and hold it with your hands.
- Step 4: Just relax your body and keep your breathing normal.
- Step 5: You can continue to be in uttanasana for 2-3 minutes and without support, it is difficult for a beginner or a patient in pain to hold for even a minute.
- Step 6: After practising Uttanasana for 2-3 minutes, start coming back by starting with lifting your forehead and taking your feets forward. Come forward slowly and uplift the body carefully. If can't do yourself, take help of an expert Therapeutic Yoga Teacher.
- Step 7: Now, come outside the rope and feel the reduction in stiffness in your back, hips and legs.
Benefits of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
- Relieves Stress, Reduces Anxiety and Overcome Depression
- Provides Mental Relaxation
- Relieves Back Pain and reduces stiffness
- Treats Slipped Disc, Ankylosing Spondylitis and reduces the nerve compression
- Re-activates the flow of impure blood in legs when having varicose veins
- Improves Digestion and activates pancreas that helps to control diabetes
- Relieves Hip Joint Pain and reduces stiffness in hip joints.
- Reduces stiffness in whole spine and increases flexibility
- Corrects posture and alignment of the body if disturbed.