Cervical spondylosis is a general condition that can occur from the deterioration of bones, discs, ligaments, and joints in the neck. This condition is mostly due to the age-related wear and tear affecting the spinal disks in your neck. The cervical spine disc of your neck gradually starts dehydrating, shrinking, losing fluid, and becomes rigid with growing age.
Cervical spondylosis is very common and also worsens with age. The most affected age group is above 60. It is also known as neck arthritis, cervical osteoarthritis or degenerative osteoarthritis. It causes neck pain and flexibility issues in the neck region. And if such severe case occurs then you might require surgery to treat cervical spondylosis. However, on the contrary, you can prevent yourself from any type of surgery or medicines by practicing Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Treatment.
For most people, this condition causes no symptoms. When symptoms do occur, they typically include the following -
- Numbness and weakness in your arms, hands, legs.
- Difficulty in walking.
- Loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Muscle spasms
- Abnormal reflexes
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Hindrance in neck movements
These listed symptoms can be cured by regularly practicing the following Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Treatment, as you all know that yoga is a holistic and spiritual approach to curb any type of disease or such conditions. So in order to eliminate all these symptoms caused by cervical spondylosis, try to follow these poses of yoga for neck pain –
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose) – This asana when performed with the help of ropes as support does wonders in eliminating cervical neck pain. This asana has the power to remove the stiffness from the shoulder and arms and relieves your neck pain.
- Neck Traction – This can be done with the help of a band or a strap. You should place a strap or resistance band around the base of your skull. Holding either side of strap or extend your arms forward. Relax your shoulders and start moving your head forward and back 15 times.
- Trikonasana (Extended triangle pose) – This asana basically helps you in relaxing your neck and shoulder pain due to cervical spondylosis. This asana also helps in removing the strain tension from your neck, shoulders, and upper back.
- Viparita Karani (Legs Against the Wall Pose) –This yoga for neck pain gives your body a much-needed rest as it creates a calming effect on the nervous system, helps in blood circulation, and also removes the pressure from your spine and neck. In order to perform this asana for better results, you should try using a folded blanket or towel to place beneath your hips for your support.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Seated Twist Pose) - This yoga for neck pain is one of the efficient poses that help in bringing flexibility in your entire spinal cord. It also aids in giving an inner massage to the abdominal organs and reiterating the flexibility of your neck.
- Balasana (Child’s Pose) –This asana is a restorative asana that is proven to be very relaxing for your neck and back. As this asana is very easy going that can be performed without putting much effort, it also has the power to simply relax your body from all kinds of stress. It can also help to reduce stress, anxiety, and mental tension.
- Parsvakonasana (Extended side angle pose) – This asana helps in enhancing the flexibility of your cervical part of the spine and also makes the whole spine flexible. This pose can show wonders if performed under the guidance of Iyenger yoga experts with the help of props.
- Savasana (Corpse Pose) -This asana is very easygoing, as it can be performed anytime without any efforts. You should always allow yourself time at the end of your practice to relax in Shavasana and try to focus on letting go of any kind of remaining strain and tension in your body.
- Sirsasana ( supported headstand) - This asana, when performed with the help of ropes leaves the head slightly untouched from the ground which aids in improving the blood circulation in the whole body especially the head and neck, that in turn, relieving the neck pain. This asana is very powerful in practicing and for gradually and safely learning inversions.
- Chakrasana (Wheel pose) – This asana makes the spine and neck vertebrate quite flexible along with excellent blood circulation in the heart as the chest is wide opened.
- Bharadvajasana (seated twist) – This yoga for neck pain is a great pose to bring flexibility to your entire spinal cord. This is considered as the best yoga asana for cervical spondylosis, as this asana twists the cervical, not only the neck but the whole spine which increases its flexibility.
- Sarvangasana (shoulder stand) – This asana is not prescribed by your doctors or physicians in the case of cervical spondylosis. Even, a general yoga teacher will also not. But in therapeutic Iyengar yoga, the experts make the patients practice this asana under their guidance along with the support or prop. It makes the shoulder and neck stronger along with relieving neck pain.
- Bitilasana (Cow Pose) and Marjariasana (Cat Pose) - These asanas are gentle up-and-down flowing posture that brings flexibility to the entire spine and body. It stretches your entire back and neck region. It’s an easy pose to create space through the entire neck, which in turn strengthens your spinal cord.
- Adho Mukha Shvanasana (Downward Facing Dog) - This asana directly focuses on your posterior part of the body. This means that it's a perfect pose for anyone with pains in their neck and back. For the patients of cervical spondylosis, this asana works as a boon to coping up with the causes of the pain by this condition.
- Kapotasana (Pigeon Pose) - This asana works intensely on your spinal cord. You can practice this asana with a bolster for the beginning stages to curb the intense pain caused due to cervical spondylosis.
To Know more, talk to our doctor. Dial +91-8351919191