Yoga for Students
18 Dec 2019 Student health
Our society is well aware of the endless emotional and physical disorders that an adult faces due to the stress and pressure caused by the fear of passing the examinations.
Unfortunately, today students are the victims of stress, anxiety, insomnia, etc, due to a highly competitive environment and work culture. Peer-pressure, examination pressure, long working hours, irregular eating habits are a few other causes of a stressful lifestyle. The most common causes of the stress of students include not being able to remember what they've studied, loss of sleep and energy, lack of concentration and frightful nightmares related to the dreaded exams. So we have found an easy way to combat exam stress? Yoga is the answer!
There is no doubt about the benefits of yoga for students even in today’s modern world. Learning Yoga at an early age can have lasting and intense benefits on the overall health and well-being of the student. Immaterial of whether you’re a student or adult, you are sure to find Yoga to be beneficial in terms of achieving peace of mind, maintain increased energy levels, improve flexibility, and find inspiration to paving your energies in the right direction. Regular practice of yoga will result in improved posture, increase in lung capacity, memory boost, and help you develop a positive attitude towards exams and life, and also discovers your highest potential. Stress is a major obstacle to academic achievement, and yoga's stress relief powers have been shown to boost student performance. Research over the past years has shown yoga for students to have stress-relieving powers, paving the way for improved academic performance with the practice of asanas, meditation and breathing exercises.
Benefits of Yoga for Students
Here, we discuss the most important benefits of yoga for students:
The word Yoga is derived from a Sanskrit word ‘Yuj’. Yoga is not just about doing asanas for your health. It has more meaning to it as it elevates your emotions with a touch of spirituality, therefore giving you the ability to overcome a lot of problems in your life including the examinations. During exams, most of the students find it difficult to remember what they have studied before and this happens even after doing their revisions. In fact, those who did yoga retained better than people who had been for a 20-minute jog!
Here are some important yogasanas that expert yoga teachers at "LIVE WITH YOGA", Iyengar Centre in Jaipur have been teaching their disciples to increase focus & concentration and can also help you to:
- Remember all that you study
- Maintain high levels of energy
- Score your best in exams
- Increasing your Energy
The important asanas are as follows:
1. Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
- Release the feet and extend the legs, allowing the feet to relax in a relaxed way.
- Lie on a slanting box with pillows on it.
- Allow your feet to gently roll open.
- Flip your palms turn up.
- Roll your shoulders on a wooden stick behind your back.
- Allow your body to be very heavy. Close your eyes.
2. Bhujangasana (Supported Cobra Pose)
- To start the pose, stand straight in front of a wall stand as shown in the asana image above.
- Hold the ropes and take your legs back along the wall and take your body down towards the floor in air.
- Strongly hold the rope which acts as a support that is tied nearby.
- Stay in this position for 1 minute.
3. Surya Namaskar
- One of the most energizing techniques in yoga for students, the Surya Namaskar is composed of 12 postures that help to influence the working of different organs and glands present in the body.
- With this, your body becomes energetic. It also develops strength, stability, and flexibility of body and mind.
- This is also helpful if you want 6 pack abs.
4. Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Matsyasana helps in blood circulation to the head but doing this yoga for students will also help in relieving stress in the neck and the back area which is either caused by mental or physical stress.
- Lie on the floor and tuck in your stomach under your hips.
- Lift your body above the floor with the aim of forming a curve frame while making a beeline for the hips
- Hold this pose for 60 seconds
- Return to your natural position.
- This yoga for students can be performed to increase flexibility.
5. Viparita Karani (Legs Up the Wall)
- Sit next to a wall, such that your feet are on the floor, spread in front of you, and the left side of your body is touching the wall.
- Breathe deeply. Lie on your back, making sure that the back of your legs pressed against the wall and the feet face upwards.
- Place your hips a little away from the wall or press them against the wall.
- Stand straight along a pillar or wall with hands stretched upside.
- This asana helps in strengthening your knees and is good for the overall body but more importantly, this asana plays a vital role in improving your concentration.
- This asana is also helpful in improving body balancing.
7. Adi Mudra Pranayama
- Adi Mudra Pranayama is quite helpful for students.
- All you have to do is sit on the wooden brick with your eyes closed.
- Keep your spine straight. Fold your knees.
- This asana will not only help you with relaxation but it will also help you improve your concentration.
- Practicing this pranayama will help you relieve muscle tension because of sitting and studying for extended periods of time.
- This yoga for students will help in dealing with lower back pain due to more sitting hours in class or while studying
- Vajrasana is one of those powerful asanas for students who have memory problems.
- In this pose, you are supposed to kneel down on a flat surface and ensure that your ankles, toes, and knees touch the ground.
- Your spine should be straight before you position both of your palms on top of your knees.
- Put a pillow under your hips for perfection and more effect.
- Now close your eyes and relax for a couple of minutes or even half-hour.
- This asana helps in calming your mind and if done regularly it helps elevate concentration.
- This yoga for students also has other benefits as it helps in digestion and in constipation.
The practice of Yoga will bring a positive change in mood and attitude, increased energy levels and the ability to focus on what is required by setting aside distracting thoughts in a student. This yoga for students has been specially formulated by "LIVE WITH YOGA" and its teachers to enhance the concentration levels and reducing the stress of the students.
To Know more, talk to our doctor. Dial +91-8351919191