Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment
What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that usually affects your spine, sacroiliac joints, and the lower back. In this condition, a person feels pain, stiffness, and immobility in the neck region. It is an inflammatory disease that can cause the vertebrae in your spine to fuse and the fusing of the spine makes the spine less flexible and can result in deformity (hunched-forward posture).
In ankylosing spondylitis, new bones can be formed on the older ones and can cause chronic pain and disability.
Ankylosing spondylitis can also cause pain and stiffness in other parts of your body such as the shoulders, hips, buttocks, and knees. In some cases, ribs can be affected which leads to breathing problems.
Early diagnosis of the disease plays an important role in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. The main aim of ankylosing spondylitis treatment is to reduce the pain and to terminate the symptoms before the disease becomes severe.
Iyengar yoga will help you in relieving the pain and stiffness without taking any medicines and hospital visits. Our therapeutic treatment is capable to provide significant relief and improvement in this medical condition.
Causes of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Though it is known that Ankylosing spondylitis occurs by the inflammation in the spine, the exact cause of ankylosing spondylitis is not known. There are some risk factors associated with ankylosing spondylitis such as :
- Heredity/family history - If in your blood test, you have the positive (Human Leukocyte Antigen) HLA-B27 (as in almost 90% cases). Then, you are at risk of having Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Sex - If you are men, more prone to this disease.
- Age - Most common age group targeted by this disease is 20-40.
Signs and Symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Your body may show several symptoms if you are affected by ankylosing spondylitis. If these symptoms are noticed earlier the treatment process could be more successful. The common symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis are:
- Pain - Lower back, hips, buttocks, neck, foot and other joints. Pain in ligaments and tendons.
- Fatigue and weakness
- Poor body posture
- Stooped shoulders
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Lung failure
- Inflammation of bowels, heart valve, and mild eye.
The most commonly affected areas of the body are: lower back, buttocks, hips, neck, other joints (all the major joints in the body), the heel of the foot.
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- During the treatment all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical condition.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
1. Vishramasan (Back Relaxation)
2. Urdhva Hastasana
3. Utthita Trikonasana
5. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
6. Ardha Chandrasana
7. Adho Mukha Svanasana
9. Viparita Dandasana
11. Utthita Marichyasana
12. Jathara Parivartanasana
13. Supta Padangusthasana
15. Paschimottanasana in Baddha Konasana
16. Ujjayi Pranayama
- Ankylosing Spondylitis is commonly known as arthritis of the spine.
- Heredity/ Genetics is the main cause of ankylosing spondylitis.
- Pain in the lower back, joints and neck region are the most common symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.