14 Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Asanas For Cervical Spondylosis
Sitting for long in a fixed position, hectic schedules, sedentary lifestyles. All these affecting multiple levels of well-being. Not only physically, but you are getting mentally, emotionally and socially disturbed.
Using computers and smartphones for hours leads to cervical, neck and shoulder pains.
Cervical Spondylosis is not a serious disease if cared timely. Modern Medical Science has Operation as the only solution. But,
Wait, You can prevent complicated and harmful surgeries with Cervical Pain Treatment by Yoga. Let us save your precious health, money and time.
Before knowing, how we treat Cervical Spondylosis with Iyengar Yoga asanas and pranayamas. Let us discuss What is Cervical Spondylosis and What causes Cervical Spondylosis?
Cervical spondylosis is a condition which results from the deterioration of bones, discs, ligaments, vertebrae, and joints in the neck.
With growing age and wear and tear of these parts in the neck, this condition called cervical spondylosis develops. The discs of the cervical spine (located in the neck) gradually start dehydrating, shrinking, losing fluid, breaking down and becomes rigid with growing age.
Boney projections along the edges of the bones may develop due to spondylosis. It occurs mostly in people above 45 years of age.
Cervical spondylosis is also known as neck arthritis, cervical osteoarthritis or degenerative osteoarthritis. Cervical spondylosis causes neck pain and weakness in the neck region and in some serious cases, it can also cause mobility and flexibility issues.
Such serious cases may require a surgical process to treat cervical spondylosis. But you can prevent yourself from that surgical operation by Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Treatment.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
As you grow older the bones and ligaments that make your backbone tends to develop wear and tear gradually. The primary causes of cervical spondylosis are a growing age and the natural wear and tear process of the bones. Some other common causes which can lead to cervical spondylosis are:
- Dehydrated Disks - With growing age or with some other issues, the water content in the bone reduces which results in the direct bone to bone contact.
- Herniated Discs - The leaked internal fluid from the disks presses on the nerves which results in the pain.
- Stiff Ligaments - Stiffness of the ligaments reduces the flexibility of the neck.
- Bone Spurs - Bone spurs are the formation of extra bones and it can lead to pain by compressing the nerves responsible for transferring signals in the neck region.
- Injuries - Any injury to the neck can also cause cervical spondylosis.
- Overuse of Neck Muscles - Long-term activities, carrying or lifting heavy objects.
- Occupation and Hobbies - Some occupations like a dancer, construction worker, labourer, gymnast, martial artist, IT (information technology) related jobs that require prolonged use of computers and laptops.
- Genetic history
- Sedentary lifestyle, being very inactive, overweight.
Signs and Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
Although the patients with cervical spondylosis show no significant symptoms in the early stage, some symptoms may appear in the advanced stage of cervical spondylosis. Some common signs and symptoms of cervical spondylosis are:
- Neck Pain and stiffness in the neck region, it could be worse in severe cases where a slight movement in the neck region causes extreme pain.
- Pain in arms and shoulders.
- Lack of coordination.
- Difficulty in walking.
- Weakness, tingling, and numbness in hands, legs, arms, and feet.
- Loss of bowel control
- Dizziness and blackouts.
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Unable to rotate the neck.
- Grinding noise and pain while turning the neck.
- Muscle spasms
- Abnormal reflexes
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Cervical Spondylosis
There is a range of yoga asanas for cervical spondylosis that helps the patient in getting relief from the pain, stiffness, and weakness. By performing some yoga asanas under the supervision of our well trained and experienced yoga teachers (instructors) you can easily get rid of cervical spondylosis.
You can achieve an effective result within a few days while saving your valuable time, money and invaluable health. And the most important aspect of Iyengar yoga’s therapeutic cervical spondylosis treatment is that you get to discover a whole new way of living a healthy and meaningful life.
- During the treatment all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical condition.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
1. Neck Traction
2. Bhujangasana by Ropes (Rope I)
3. Bhujangasana by Ropes (Rope II)
4. Neck Traction II
5. Urdhva Hastasana
6. Utthita Trikonasana
11. Bharadvajasana II
13. Setu Bandh Sarvangasana
14. Ujjayi Pranayama
- Cervical spondylosis is characterized by pain and stiffness in the neck region.
- Growing age and age-related diseases are the main causes of cervical spondylosis.
- Pain in the neck and surrounding region are the main symptoms of cervical spondylosis.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.