15 Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Asanas For Diabetes
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disease that affects the ability of your body to use blood glucose (blood sugar). Glucose is very important for your health as it provides energy to the cells (muscles and tissues) of your body and brain.
Diabetes causes high blood sugar in your body. The hormone called insulin moves sugar from the blood into your cells which can be used later for energy, when you are affected by diabetes your body either doesn’t use the insulin properly or can’t make enough insulin.
If not treated on time diabetes can cause serious complications such as kidney diseases, heart diseases, stroke, eye diseases, etc. It could lead to even death in severe conditions.
There are 3 main types of diabetes :
- Type1 Diabetes - In this type of diabetes the body can’t produce insulin and the patient needs to be dependent on artificial insulin to survive.
- Type 2 Diabetes - In this type of diabetes the body can produce insulin but it can’t use the insulin properly (the cells in the body doesn’t respond to the insulin as like they used to do earlier).
- Gestational Diabetes - It occurs in pregnant women, in this type of diabetes a pregnant woman develops high blood sugar levels.
Causes of Diabetes
The causes and risk factors of diabetes differ in each type of diabetes. Some common causes of diabetes in each type are as follows:
- Type 1 diabetes - The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is not known yet. Doctors around the world say that the immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This removes almost all of the insulin in your body and it increases the level of sugar in your body. Viruses, environmental factors, and genes are also thought to be causing factors of type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes - It is a result of environmental (lifestyle factors) and genetic factors. Overweight people are also said to be at more risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes. People with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and sedentary lifestyle are at more risk of type 2 diabetes. It is the most common type of diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes - It is a result of hormonal changes in pregnant women. Overweight women are at more risk of this type of diabetes.
Genetics is a common risk factor in all type of diabetes.
Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes
Symptoms of diabetes can be seen early in some cases whereas it could take a much longer time in other cases. Some common signs and symptom of diabetes are:
- Extreme hunger
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst
- Sudden weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Presence of ketones in the urine
- Sores take a longer time to heal
- Vaginal infections
- Skin infections
- Gum infections
- Decreased sex drive, erectile dysfunction and poor muscle strength in males.
- Yeast infections, urinary tract infections and skin irritation in women
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Diabetes
- During the treatment all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical condition.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
1. Supta Baddha Konasana
2. Utthita Parivrtta Trikonasana
3. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
4. Ardha Chandrasana
5. Sirsasana in Baddha Konasana
6. Bharadvajasana I
7. Bharadvajasana II
8. Ardha Matsyendrasana
11. Supta Padangusthasana
14. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
15. Ujjayi Pranayama
- Diabetes is identified by high blood sugar levels in the body.
- Genetics and environmental factors are the two most common causing factors of diabetes.
- Frequent urination and extreme thirst are the main symptoms of diabetes in all types.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.