Yoga for Diabetes
Control Diabetes and Live Sugar-Free Life with Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga & Meditation
Therapy Yoga Asanas for Diabetes
Some common poses of yoga for diabetes control which can be performed by diabetic patients are:
1. Supta Baddha Konasana
This is the first asana which needs to be performed by a diabetes patient because the stomach of a patient becomes very hard and this asanas for diabetes helps in removing the hardness from the stomach which further helps in performing the other asana. It also helps in the proper functioning of the pancreas by increasing the abdominal breathing.
2. Utthita Parivrtta Trikonasana
This yoga for diabetes twists the stomach and makes the pancreas activate which in turn helps in releasing insulin properly.
3. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
This is a twisting asana which activates the pancreas and helps in releasing insulin which previously is not releasing or having less in amount.
4. Ardha Chandrasana
This yoga to control diabetes activates the solar plexus and pancreas deep inside the stomach.
5. Sirsasana in Baddha Konasana
Hormones are controlled by Pituitary Gland and insulin is also a hormone. So, this asana activates the pituitary glands and enables the pancreas to secrete the right quantity of insulin.
6. Bharadvajasana I
This is a twisting yoga for diabetes patient and it is very important because the pancreas is situated behind our intestines and this asana activates them by twisting.
7. Bharadvajasana II
This is also a twisting asana and a variation of Bhardvajasana I above. This by twisting the body with pillar support makes the deeply hidden pancreas activate and secrete the right amount of insulin.
8. Ardha Matsyendrasana
This asana is also a twisting one that activates the pancreas and very much effective by using bricks as we do in Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga.
This asana is a twisting one that activates the pancreas and very much effective by using bricks rather than doing without support.
This yogafor diabetes reduces stiffness from the stomach part and as a result, helps the hormonal secretion process.
11. Supta Padangusthasana
This asana improves the blood circulation and in the internal organs of the stomach.
This asana also activates the hormones and makes them secrete the right amount of insulin.
This asana is very effective for the interior stomach that in turn helps the pancreas to get activated and prevents from side effects of diabetes as severe diabetes can cause kidney damage.
14. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
This yoga asanas for diabetes provides relief to the patient in Mental Stress and improves emotional imbalance.
15. Ujjayi Pranayama
Strengthens the immune system and improves the quality of breath. This also prevents from side effects of diabetes.
yoga poses for diabetes control is the best treatment to cure diabetes naturally. One should try yoga asanas for diabetes with the help of expert yoga teachers.
- During the treatment, all the yoga asanas for diabetes will be performed with the help of props.
- Yoga exercise for diabetes patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical conditions.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
Diabetes is a disease that affects the ability of your body to use blood glucose (blood sugar). Glucose is very important for your health as it provides energy to the cells (muscles and tissues) of your body and brain.
Diabetes causes high blood sugar in your body. The hormone called insulin moves sugar from the blood into your cells which can be used later for energy, when you are affected by diabetes your body either doesn’t use the insulin properly or can’t make enough insulin.
If not treated on time diabetes can cause serious complications such as kidney diseases, heart diseases, stroke, eye diseases, etc. It could lead to even death in severe conditions.
The causes and risk factors of diabetes differ in each type of diabetes. Some common causes of diabetes in each type are as follows:
- Type 1 diabetes - The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is not known yet. Doctors around the world say that the immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This removes almost all of the insulin in your body and it increases the level of sugar in your body. Viruses, environmental factors, and genes are also thought to be causing factors of type 1 diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes - It is a result of environmental (lifestyle factors) and genetic factors. Overweight people are also said to be at more risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes. People with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and a sedentary lifestyle are at more risk of type 2 diabetes. It is the most common type of diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes - It is a result of hormonal changes in pregnant women. Overweight women are at more risk of this type of diabetes.
Genetics is a common risk factor in all types of diabetes.
Symptoms of diabetes can be seen early in some cases whereas it could take a much longer time in other cases. Some common signs and symptom of diabetes are:
- Extreme hunger
- Frequent urination
- Increased thirst
- Sudden weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Presence of ketones in the urine
- Sores take a longer time to heal
- Vaginal infections
- Skin infections
- Gum infections
- Decreased sex drive, erectile dysfunction and poor muscle strength in males.
- Yeast infections, urinary tract infections and skin irritation in women
There are 3 main types of diabetes :
- Type1 Diabetes - In this type of diabetes the body can’t produce insulin and the patient needs to be dependent on artificial insulin to survive.
- Type 2 Diabetes - In this type of diabetes the body can produce insulin but it can’t use the insulin properly (the cells in the body don’t respond to the insulin as they used to do earlier).
- Gestational Diabetes - It occurs in pregnant women, in this type of diabetes a pregnant woman develops high blood sugar levels.