11 Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga For Hormonal Imbalance
What is a Hormonal Imbalance?
Hormonal imbalance happens when the amount of hormones in the bloodstream is either too low or too high. Hormones are very much essential for our body and play a major role in the functioning of the body. Thus, even a little change in the hormones can cause side-effects in the entire body.
Hormones are chemicals that travel through your bloodstream to the tissues and organs and commands the body organs about their functions. Hormones direct the organs what to do and at what time. Hormones control major functions of the body such as heart rate, sleep cycles, metabolism, appetite, stress levels, sexual functions, reproductive cycles,etc.
Men are more prone to an imbalance in the testosterone level and women are likely to face an imbalance in the estrogen and progesterone levels.
Causes of Hormonal Imbalance?
There are many causes of hormonal imbalance in a person, the causes depend on which hormones are affected. Some of the common causes of hormonal imbalance are :
- hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid
- overactive thyroid hyperthyroidism
- Cushing syndrome
- thyroid nodule hyperfunctioning
- hormone therapy
- tumors (benign or cancerous)
- congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- eating disorders
- adrenal insufficiency
- pituitary tumor
- injury or trauma
- cancer treatments
There are some causes of hormonal imbalance that are exclusive to women such as: menopause, pregnancy, breastfeeding, PCOS, premature menopause, hormone drugs like birth control pills, primary ovarian insufficiency.
Signs and Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
A person affected with hormonal imbalance will show many symptoms but the symptoms will depend on which glands and hormones are affected. Some of the common signs and symptoms are :
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss.
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Increased thrust, increased urination
- Excessive sweating ( sometimes without any reason)
- nervousness, anxiety, or irritability
- Skin problems
- brittle or weak bones
- puffy face
- blurred vision
- a bulge in the neck
- deepening of the voice in females
- breast tenderness
- muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness
- pain, stiffness, or swelling in your joints
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Hormonal Imbalance
- During the treatment all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical condition.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
1. Supta Baddha Konasana
2. Supta Sukhasana
6. Viparita Dandasana
8. Ardha Halasana
9. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
10. Adho Mukha Virasana
11. Ujjayi Pranayama
- Hormonal imbalance happens when the amount of hormones in the bloodstream is either too low or too high.
- Diabetes and thyroid diseases are one of the common causes of hormonal imbalance.
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss are common symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.