17 Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Asanas For Obesity Or Weight Loss
What is Obesity?
Obesity is a medical condition when a person carries excess body fat that might affect their health adversely. In medical terms, a person with a high body mass index (BMI) is known as an obese person. Body mass index is a tool to calculate the ideal weight for a person with inputs of height and weight. Though BMI is used vastly to find out that a person has an ideal weight or not it has some limitations, so it would be much better if you visit a doctor for the proper checkup.
Obesity increases the risk of many other health problems such as arthritis, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, cancer, slip disc, back pain etc. Obesity can disturb the routine lifestyle of a person if not treated on time and a person may need surgery in some cases. The best news is that by maintaining a healthy weight a person can keep all the harmful effects of obesity at a distance.
Iyengar yoga therapeutic treatment along with some lifestyle changes helps in loosing excessive body weight with the help of some simple asanas.
It is often said that obesity is the cause of many diseases but the more appropriate opinion is that several diseases, disorders and medical ailments generates obesity.
Causes of Obesity
There are many factors which are responsible to make a person gain excess body fat. Some common causes and risk factors of obesity are:
- Stress - Stress is one of the major causes of many diseases around the world. Most of the people in today’s time are living a stressful life due to today’s hectic lifestyle. Stress can result from many reasons such as personal problems, economic problems, etc.
- Hormonal Imbalance - Imbalance in hormones causes major disturbances in the body and affects the metabolism of the body. Hormonal changes at the time of menopause create an imbalance in the body which could lead to obesity.
- Unhealthy Diet - Eating too many high-carb foods, fried foods, fast foods, sugar, leads to obesity.
- Wrong Lifestyle/Unhealthy Eating Habits - Not having a fixed schedule for eating food is one of the biggest reasons for obesity, food should be consumed at right time and in the right quantity. Consuming too many calories leads to the storage of extra fats in the body which turns into obesity.
- Sedentary Lifestyle - Leading an inactive life with no exercise or minimum required physical activity increases the risk of obesity.
- Lack of Sleep - Sleeping less than the minimum required time is very dangerous to health and creates an imbalance in the hormones which leads to obesity.
- Age - People above 50 years of age are more prone to obesity as with growing age the muscle mass and metabolism of the body decreases.
- Certain Medical Conditions - People affected by certain diseases are found to gain excess body fats.
- Obesity Gene - A gene called the fat-mass and obesity-associated gene (FTO) has been associated with obesity in some cases.
- Certain Medications - People who are taking certain medicines like birth control pills, steroids are at risk of obesity.
Signs and Symptoms of Obesity
One way to find out a person is obese or not is the BMI test. For a reliable diagnosis, a person should visit a doctor to identify the current status of the body fat. The most common sign of obesity is that a person seems visibly fat (carrying excess body fat) in comparison to others. Some common symptoms of obesity are:
- Breathing disorders
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Increased sweating
- Back and joint pains
- Fatigue and tiredness in a less physical activity
- Low confidence and low self-esteem
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Obesity or Weight Loss
- During the treatment all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by the trained yoga teachers & under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical condition.
- Every person will be advised to perform asanas based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.
1. Tadasana (Samastithi)
2. Utthita Trikonasana
4. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
5. Ardha Chandrasana
6. Adho Mukha Svanasana
8. Viparita Dandasana
9. Bharadvajasana I
10. Bharadvajasana II
12. Supta Padangusthasana
15. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
16. Paschimottanasana in Baddha Konasana
17. Ujjayi Pranayam
- Obesity is a medical condition in when a person carries excess body fat that might affect their health adversely
- Unhealthy diet, unhealthy eating habits, and inactivity are the common symptoms of obesity.
- Breathing disorders and tiredness are the common symptoms of obesity.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and & under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.