Yoga for Weight Loss or Obesity
Cure Diseases due to Obesity and Lose 10-20 KG Weight with Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga
Therapeutic Yoga Asanas for Knee Pain
Some common knee pain yoga exercises or asanas which can be performed by patients are:
1. Tadasana (Samastithi)
This asana stretches the whole body and reduces tiredness from it that occurred due to obesity or overweight.
2. Utthita Trikonasana
This asana increases blood circulation in legs and also reduces the heaviness in the feet and legs.
As spine is having a huge pressure due to excess fat. So this asana releases the pressure and heaviness from the spine. This also increases your energy level.
4. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
Weight increases or obesity occurs due to diseases in the body, but all believe that weight is the reason for the diseases. That's not true. So this asana solves indigestion problem and also effective for people with diabetes. As a result, take the diseases out and also reduces weight.
5. Ardha Chandrasana
This asana improves the digestive system of overweight or obese people that in turn softens the stomach.
6. Adho Mukha Svanasana
Obese People takes a lot of mental stress due to their overweight and also due to mental instability. This asana provides mental relaxation to patients and reduces stress.
This asana is performed against gravity but with ropes which along with providing mental relaxation also balances the hormones in the body.
8. Viparita Dandasana
People with obesity or high weight has their chest touching their diaphragm. This asana stretches or expands the stomach and chest altogether which increases the oxygen level and also improves the metabolism system.
9. Bharadvajasana I
This is a twisting asana which activates the pancreas and other hormones. This asana improves the digestive system and the patient gets relief from constipation and gastric problems.
10. Bharadvajasana II
This asana is a variation of above Bharadvajasana I which is done with pillar support in Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga. This twists the upper body and provides relief from indigestion and gastric problems which indirectly makes the belly fat loss.
This asana softens the stomach of a fat person which increases the chance of belly fat reduction.
12. Supta Padangusthasana
This asana is beneficial and very much effective for all obese people but very powerful for females as, during menopause, women feel heaviness and stiffness in legs. This asana reduces the heaviness in legs and relaxes them.
This asana improves the metabolism system of the body. In the case of women, this asana controls hormones and makes them gain less weight during menopause or when have ovary diseases.
This asana makes the body very flexible but only when practised with supports as in Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga. This asana also improves hormone system by balancing them.
15. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Stress, anxiety, depression are some of the main reasons for obesity. This asana provides mental relaxation by reducing stress and depression which in turn helps in losing weight.
16. Paschimottanasana in Baddha Konasana
This asana is useful for all with overweight and obesity but very much effective for women when the reason for obesity is genetic organs during menopause, a cyst in ovaries and irregular periods time. This asana corrects the period system and also treats ovary related problems which as a result helps in losing weight.
17. Ujjayi Pranayama
This asana increases the oxygen level in the body and Overweight people have very low energy so that's why they are always in hunger to get energy. But this asana increases the energy level in the body which decreases the hunger level. So, if less will be eaten, one will feel light and not gain much weight.
- Obesity is a medical condition in when a person carries excess body fat that might affect their health adversely
- Unhealthy diet, unhealthy eating habits, and inactivity are the common symptoms of obesity.
- Breathing disorders and tiredness are the common symptoms of obesity.
- All the asanas must be performed in the proper sequence and & under the guidance of a trained yoga teacher.
Obesity is a medical condition when a person carries excess body fat that might affect their health adversely. In medical terms, a person with a high body mass index (BMI) is known as an obese person. Body mass index is a tool to calculate the ideal weight for a person with inputs of height and weight. Though BMI is used vastly to find out that a person has an ideal weight or not it has some limitations, so it would be much better if you visit a doctor for the proper checkup.
Obesity increases the risk of many other health problems such as arthritis, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, cancer, slip disc, back pain etc. Obesity can disturb the routine lifestyle of a person if not treated on time and a person may need surgery in some cases. The best news is that by maintaining a healthy weight a person can keep all the harmful effects of obesity at a distance.
Iyengar yoga therapeutic treatment along with some lifestyle changes helps in loosing excessive body weight with the help of some simple asanas.
It is often said that obesity is the cause of many diseases but the more appropriate opinion is that several diseases, disorders and medical ailments generates obesity.
There are many factors which are responsible to make a person gain excess body fat. Some common causes and risk factors of obesity are:
- Stress - Stress is one of the major causes of many diseases around the world. Most of the people in today’s time are living a stressful life due to today’s hectic lifestyle. Stress can result from many reasons such as personal problems, economic problems, etc.
- Hormonal Imbalance - Imbalance in hormones causes major disturbances in the body and affects the metabolism of the body. Hormonal changes at the time of menopause create an imbalance in the body which could lead to obesity.
- Unhealthy Diet - Eating too many high-carb foods, fried foods, fast foods, sugar, leads to obesity.
- Wrong Lifestyle/Unhealthy Eating Habits - Not having a fixed schedule for eating food is one of the biggest reasons for obesity, food should be consumed at right time and in the right quantity. Consuming too many calories leads to the storage of extra fats in the body which turns into obesity.
- Sedentary Lifestyle - Leading an inactive life with no exercise or minimum required physical activity increases the risk of obesity.
- Lack of Sleep - Sleeping less than the minimum required time is very dangerous to health and creates an imbalance in the hormones which leads to obesity.
- Age - People above 50 years of age are more prone to obesity as with growing age the muscle mass and metabolism of the body decreases.
- Certain Medical Conditions - People affected by certain diseases are found to gain excess body fats.
- Obesity Gene - A gene called the fat-mass and obesity-associated gene (FTO) has been associated with obesity in some cases.
- Certain Medications - People who are taking certain medicines like birth control pills, steroids are at risk of obesity.
One way to find out a person is obese or not is the BMI test. For a reliable diagnosis, a person should visit a doctor to identify the current status of the body fat. The most common sign of obesity is that a person seems visibly fat (carrying excess body fat) in comparison to others. Some common symptoms of obesity are:
- Breathing disorders
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Increased sweating
- Back and joint pains
- Fatigue and tiredness in a less physical activity
- Low confidence and low self-esteem