PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is a common hormonal disorder that many women go through during their childbearing years. Though it is a non-fatal condition, it may affect the patient’s ability to conceive and carry a child.
There are several other side-effects of PCOS which may affect your daily life. Unfortunately, there is no specific line of treatment that can erase this disease permanently out of your life, it can only be managed.
Apart from medication and therapies, doctors also suggest yoga for PCOS. It can play a crucial role in restoring the lost hormonal balance. Yogasanas are counted as the most effective remedies when it comes to the natural management of PCOS.
Therapeutic Yoga Asanas for PCOS
This asana is very useful in dealing with the biggest side-effects of PCOS - weight gain and obesity.
2. Supta Baddha Konasana
It is done to increase the level of oxygen in the overall body and reduce anxiety and stress.
3. Supta Virasana
It improves the breathing ability and increases the oxygen intake in the body. The asana also helps in lowering blood pressure and calming down nerves to relieve pressure and anxiety from the body.
This asana is used to activate the adrenal gland and improve the production of cortisol hormone.
5. Adho Mukha Svanasana
It is an anxiety and stress busting exercise that relaxes your body and helps in calming your nerves.
Sirsasana needs to be performed under professional guidance. So make sure you do it under the supervision of an expert. As the name suggests, it involves putting your head down and your legs up in the air without any support. The asana basically works against gravity which activates the pituitary gland and restores lost hormonal balance.
7. Supta Padangusthasana
This asana is used to relieve stress and improve blood circulation across all organs especially in the legs.
As the name suggests, this asana involves every single body part. Thus, it stimulates oxygen flow through all parts of the body and balances the hormonal system throughout the body. Regular practise of this asana directs the glands to produce the required hormones in the right amount and not more or less than it.
9. Ujjayi Pranayama
It is performed to calm down emotional anxiety. The hormonal disturbance caused by stress and work pressures can easily be treated with ujjayi pranayama as it improves the oxygen circulation throughout the body and helps in getting rid of depression.
Know Everything About PCOS
Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is yet to be found. But it is common knowledge that high levels of male hormones keep the ovaries from producing hormones and creating eggs. There are a few other reasons found to be responsible for PCOS:
- Genes: There are a few studies that found that PCOS is passed from generation to generation. It is believed that there are a number of genes that contribute to this condition.
- Insulin Resistance: More than 70 per cent of PCOS patients have high insulin resistance. It means that bodies that fail to consume insulin properly often end up with problems like PCOS.
- Inflammation: Most PCOS patients have high inflammation levels in their bodies. One of the common reasons behind inflammation is being overweight and there are several studies that have proved this.
Risk Factors Of PCOS
Risk factors for PCOS include several diseases like:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- High insulin resistance
- Glucose intolerance
- Metabolic syndrome
Symptoms of PCOS
There are some common signs and symptoms defined by doctors for PCOS:
- Hair Growth in Unwanted Areas: Normally known as hirsutism, this condition causes hair growth in several regions like breasts, stomach, toes, thumbs, and face.
Hair Loss: PCOS patients often face hair thinning that goes worse as the patient reaches middle age.
- Acne and Oily Skin: Hormonal disorders may lead to pimples and oily skin.
- Skin Darkening: A PCOS patient may experience thick, velvety skin patches under their arms, breasts, back of the neck, and groin area.
- Insomnia and fatigue: The person suffering PCOS may find it hard to fall asleep. Even if she is able to sleep she will still feel tired after waking up.
- Headaches: Hormonal imbalance often results in headaches.
- Heavy Bleeding: PCOS may disturb the menstrual cycle and bleeding process. Some women experience exceptionally high bleeding during their periods.
- Irregular Periods: The frequency of periods also gets disturbed under PCOS.
- Weight Gain: Most PCOS patients suffer from unnatural weight gain and have a hard time losing weight.
- Trouble With Pregnancy: A disturbed menstrual cycle and hormonal surge often create issues with conception and pregnancy. Some women also suffer from multiple miscarriages due to PCOS.
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga For PCOS
Unhealthy eating habits and the stress to balance work and life are two of the primary causes of hormonal disorders like PCOS among women. It is good to exercise but exercising without any discretion may lead to several problems. Many females undergo tough exercise regimes even during their periods. It is one of the potential causes of problems related to the reproductive system.
One should only stick to light exercises during periods. Yoga includes a set of exercises that relax the organs and improve hormonal activity during periods. It is highly suggested to avoid inverted asanas during periods as they reverse the blood flow. Inversions mean going against nature which may lead to problems in coming years.
When done correctly, specific yoga asanas for PCOS can help in restoring the lost balance of hormonal cycles. They activate the pituitary gland that restores the normal menstrual cycle. All you need to ensure is that the asanas are followed with diligence and patience without any gap.
The above yoga asanas are highly recommended as yoga for PCOS to get pregnant. If you are having issues with conception or pregnancy, you must practice these asanas under professional guidance. They will surely help in getting your body back to normal and relieve the PCOS symptoms to a tolerable level.
Frquently Asked Questions on PCOS
Yes, yoga can help in the successful management and cure of PCOS. But the patient needs to follow it ardently without any irregularity and with due diligence.
If a woman is facing issues with pregnancy due to PCOS, she can find effective relief with some specific yoga asanas. Regular practising of yoga asanas, a healthy diet, and some medication can really help to relieve the symptoms of PCOS and increase the chances of conception.
A specific set of asanas may really help in restoring normal hormonal activity and resolve weight issues.