A slipped disc or herniated disc is a chronic medical condition in which rubbery or jelly-like substance pokes out from inner ring through the outer ring of the disc. This causes severe back pain. Sometimes, poked out substance also compresses surrounding nerves which results in numbness, pain in legs and hip joints. Slipped Disc can occur due to various reasons including wrong sitting and standing posture, any injury, unusual body movements, etc. Modern Science has painkillers as the only solution and in severe cases, surgery which can even cause more complications. Therapeutic Yoga for Slip Disc can prevent surgery and will also safeguard both your precious health and money. Regularly practising Yoga asanas for slip disc pain treats it naturally without medicines and provides permanent relief in herniated disc.
To get rid of Slip Disc Pain completely, see supportive asanas for slipped disc treatment below and give it a try.
What is Slip Disc or Herniated Disc?
A slipped disc is also known as a Herniated disc or bulging disc.
A slipped disc or herniated disc is a medical condition in which the jelly-like substance in the inner ring of a disc (present in the bones) pokes out through the outer ring due to any defect or injury.
As our spine or backbone is made up of a number of bones stacked onto each other. The Spine (backbone) consists of 7 bone in the cervical spine, 12 in the thoracic spine, five in the lumbar spine, 5 in sacrum region and 4 in the coccyx region.
These bones are supported comfortably by disks, these discs help in protecting the bones from various shocks in daily routine like walking, lifting, twisting, running or holding things, etc.
Every disc in the bones has two parts:
- A soft and jelly-like inner portion and
- A hard and strong outer ring.
Any defect or injury in the inner portion can cause the disc to poke out through the outer ring. This condition is known as a slipped disk (herniated disc). It causes pain and weakness in the back. It can even compress nearby nerves which results in extreme pain, numbness, and weakness in legs and arms. Slip Disc can occur anywhere in the whole spine but mostly we observe it in the lower back or lumbar discs l4 l5 s1 (namings you see on your MRI Report). You can cure it with the help of yoga for slip disc l4 l5.
Causes of Slip Disc
A slipped disc may result from a number of causes, most common causes of the disease are:
- Aging - Slipped disc is caused by gradual age-related wear and tear in the bones known as degeneration. With growing age, the discs lose their water content and elasticity which makes them more prone to splitting or rupturing with even a little strain.
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Unusual body movements like twisting and jumping while lifting heavy objects.
- Lifting objects without bending the knees.
- Sitting or standing in the wrong posture.
Risk Factors of Slipped Disc
Some common risk factors of the slipped disc are:
- Occupation - Jobs that require manual work area at more risk.
- Weight - Overweight causes extra stress on the discs of the lower back.
- Sedentary Lifestyle - An inactive lifestyle can cause a slip disc.
- Wrong Lifting Techniques - Lifting objects with wrong lifting techniques can also lead to a slipped disc.
- Excessive driving or excessive physical activity.
- Deficiency of calcium.
- Smoking - Reduces oxygen supply to the discs which results in weaker discs.
In some very rare cases, a traumatic event may cause a slipped disc.
Symptoms of Slip Disc
A person affected from a slipped disc shows some signs and symptoms after a period of time. Some common signs and symptoms which can be seen in a slipped disc patient are:
- Pain - Extreme back pain or pain in thighs, buttocks, calf. Pain in legs, foot, shoulders, and arms. Pain while performing daily activities like walking, running, etc.
- Numbness - Numbness in many body parts that are connected by the affected nerve.
- Weakness - During Slipped Disc, many body parts get weak, you may be unable to lift or hold objects.
- Difficulty in controlling bowel movements.
- A burning sensation or aching in the affected area.
- Swelling in one part of the body.
- Unable to sit or stand in one place for a long period of time.
- Irritation, lack of peace of mind, stress.
In general, the Patient affected with a slipped disc faces problems in almost all the daily tasks and his/her life gets severely affected. It can be closely compared to disability.
Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga for Slip Disc
A slipped disc can be cured by therapeutic yoga treatment, the treatment of Yoga for slip disc is assisted by a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet. With the help of yoga for slip disk, you can easily get relief from slip disc pain and save yourself from complicated surgeries.
If you are waiting outside an operation theatre, then please stop for a while and try our Iyengar yoga treatment for the slipped disc to save your precious health along with your time and money.
As slip disc patient is not in the condition to practice asanas. But with us, with our Therapeutic Yoga method, you can do this. Let’s take a look at Therapeutic iyengar yoga for slip disc which is performed with the help of props for the treatment of slipped disc. With the use of props, anyone can perform even the most difficult Yoga for slip disc within minutes.
Props are effective for beginners, people above 40 years of age, less flexible people, children, people with some disease or disability but strictly need a certified and experienced Therapeutic yoga teacher for the supervision.
Some common slipped disc yoga exercises or asanas which can be performed by slip disc patients are:
This asana is performed by using weights and helps in the relaxation of the muscles and releasing the pressure and compression from the affected nerves which enables the body to perform further asanas.
2. Urdhva Hastasana
This asana removes the imbalance in the 33 vertebrae and closes the gap between them to enable the spine of the body to return to normal position.
3. Utthita Trikonasana
It increases the blood circulation in the legs and helps in the relaxation of the pelvic region and the herniated lumbar disc.
4. Utthita Parsvakonasana
It removes the stiffness in the pelvic region and provides relaxation in the hip joints.
5. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana
It helps in the gradual correct positioning of the discs by decreasing the pressure on the spine. It helps in reducing the compression on the nerves. This asana is practiced at our center with the help of an expert Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Teacher.
6. Ardha Chandrasana
It helps in the relaxation of the pelvis and the lumbar region, helps in increasing the blood circulation in the nerves and muscles of legs. It removes the stiffness in the lumbar discs and sacral region of the spine.
7. Adho Mukha Svanasana
It helps in removing the stiffness in the lumbar part of the body and reduces the compression between disc and nerves while increasing the blood circulation in the 33 vertebrae.
8. Salamba Sirsasana
This asana is done with the help of ropes and belts to remove the tension in the discs of the lower back.
9. Viparita Dandasana
It removes the compression occurred in the spine when disc slipped from its original place.
This asana is a twisting asana and helps to relax muscles surrounding the vertebrates of the spine. This asana is done with the help of support from the instructors and helps in removing the stiffness and compression from the 33 vertebrates.
11. Utthita Marichyasana
In this yoga for slipped disc, the spine is twisted a bit to remove the imbalance in the vertebrae and release compression from the slipped disc & muscles.
12. Jathara Parivartanasana
This slip disc yoga will help in removing the stiffness in the lower back region.
13. Supta Bharadvajasana
This asana is done with the help of Iyengar yoga teachers which helps in removing the stiffness from the lower back and increases the flexibility of the back.
14. Supta Marichyasana
This yoga for slip disc is performed with the help of expert Iyengar Yoga Teacher which helps in reducing the stiffness in the lower back region and also helps in strengthening the muscles.
15. Supta Padangusthasana
It increases the blood circulation in the legs and makes the pelvic region stretched.
16. Lower Back Traction
This can only be performed with the help of expert Therapeutic Iyengar Yoga Teachers and this asana reduces the compression and stiffness in the lower back region.
17. Legs Relaxation
This legs relaxation asana is developed here at Live With Yoga to make your spine and legs get relaxed after performing asanas and stretching with the help of the table, ropes and weights.
18. Paschimottanasana in Baddha Konasana
This asana is performed here at our institute with the help of expert teachers and using bolsters makes the spine gets in its original alignment and makes the patient relief in pain and stiffness.
19. Supta Baddha Konasana.
This yoga for slip disc also improves the level of oxygen in the body and helps in relaxing the body and mind.
- During slip disc treatment by yoga, all the asanas will be performed with the help of props.
- Patients will be treated by trained yoga teachers under the guidance of Yogacharya Rajveer Singh Chauhan.
- The sequence and difficulty level of asanas for slip disc may vary according to the condition of patients and their respective medical conditions.
- The patient will be advised to perform yoga for slip disc based on their current health, age and their present capacity to perform asanas.